"Man has his will - but woman has her way."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Remember when...?

Okay, I'll say it - I HATE technology! Yep, I said it, so what? Now, before people start getting their panties in a bunch, let me clarify that statement. There are many aspects of technology that are very beneficial. I like the fact that I have a place to store milk that is not a cow. I like that I can push a button on a remote and have stuff happen, as long as I have batteries that is. Wait, guess the manufacturing of the battery is a form of technology, too, huh? Yeah, technology is great in the world of medicine also. Thus ends the love aspect in my love/hate relationship with technology.

Want to know what I hate? I hate that years ago, I could remember phone numbers without hoping I had enough juice in my cell phone to pull up saved numbers! Boy am I screwed if I ever need to call someone while stuck on a yak's back somewhere in Kathmandu and I can't get any bars!

I hate that I walk into a McDonald's to apply for a part-time job, nothing fancy, and I am told to apply on-line - WHAT! ON-LINE! Now, no offense meant, but I have seen some of the people at my local Mickie D's and it seems that if you said on-line to them, they would turn around and look for one!

Same thing with the local craft store, only on-line applications. When you do apply, they give you quantum physics to perform with a time limit - get out of here!! I am applying to stock do-dads, not create them from their most base form.

I made the mistake of picking up a simple employment guide the other day. You know the one I am talking about? I figured, "Here is something normal, a blast from the past. I am sure that I can find something here." I did find something there, a migraine and 20 extra points for my blood pressure! They have even taken the employment guide (free, so that even the homeless could find a job) and instead of addresses and phone numbers, they have given the jobs ID numbers so you can go ON-LINE!

Boy, what about the older people who don't have or know how to use a computer? They must be broke because they don't bank on-line. They must not have many government benefits, they have to apply on-line. No wonder older people like to talk, with e-mail, texting and IM, who talks anymore? Pretty soon we are going to be large-thumbed, non-speaking idiots.

That's it! I'm done. I'm going to boycott. From now on, my posts will be chiseled in stone!!! (Not really, but you get my drift...)

No comments:

Post a Comment